اَلْحَمْدُ لِلّٰہِ رَبِّ الْعٰلَمِیْنَ وَالصَّلٰوۃُوَالسَّلَامُ عَلٰی سَیِّدِالْمُرْسَلِیْنَط
اَمَّا بَعْدُ فَاَعُوْذُ بِاللہِ مِنَ الشَّیْطٰنِ الرَّجِیْمِ ط بِسْمِ اللہِ الرَّحْمٰنِ الرَّحِیْمِ ط
Which [Types of] Knowledge Must a Muslim Learn?
Knowledge that is Compulsory and Necessary.
There are five types of knowledge that every sane and BalighMuslim must learn:
1. Islamic doctrine (i.e. knowing those beliefs that lead one to be a true Muslim, which if refuted, would result in one leaving the folds of Islam or becoming deviant).
2. Necessary rulings of worship (e.g. Salah, Fasting, Hajj, Zakat, etc.) and important rulings regarding matters of daily life (e.g. employment, business and other matters of such nature pertaining to an individual).
3. Matters of Permissibilityand Impermissibility (e.g. eating foods, clothing, beautification, trimming of the nails, cutting of the hair, naming, borrowing items, receiving or giving a loan, being entrusted with or entrusting an item, giving or receiving gifts, taking an oath, [administration or writing of a] will, distributing inheritance, etc.). Knowing the essentials of outward sins also falls under this category.
4. Essential knowledge about destructive sins and the methods of protecting oneself from them.
5. Essential knowledgeabout the acts of salvation and the methods of attaining them.
Seeking Knowledge is Compulsory Upon Every Muslim
The Holy Prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم stated: طَلَبُ الْعِلْمِ فَرِیْضَۃٌ عَلٰی کُلِّ مُسْلِمٍ; The seeking of knowledge is an obligation upon every Muslim.(Ibn Majah, vol. 1, p.146, Hadees. 224)
Recommended Books on obligatory branches of Knowledge
1. For Islamic doctrine, at least the following books should be covered:
a. KitabulAqaid by Sadr-ul-AfazilAllamahMawlana Mufti NaeemUddinMuradabadiرَحْمَةُ الـلّٰـهِ عَلَيْه
b. BunyadiAqaidAurMamulat e Ahlesunnat
2. For necessary rulings, at least the following books should be covered:
a. Laws of Salah
b. For employees and employers, 50 Madani Pearls of Earning Halal Sustenance
Note: It is necessary to learn those Shariah based rulings which are related to one’s job.
3. For matters of permissibility and impermissibility and outward sins, at least the following books should be covered:
a. 101 Madani Pearls
b. 163 Madani Pearls
c. GunahokeAzabat( all parts)
4. and 5. For knowledge of destructive sins and acts that leadtosalvation, at least the followingbooks shouldbe covered:
b. NajatDilane Wale AamalkiMalumat
Books on Rectifying One’s Intention:
- Secret of Earning More Reward
Helpful Books on obligatory branches of Knowledge:
All books and booklets of Shaykh-e-Tariqat, Ameer-e-AhleSunnat, AllamahMaulana Muhammad Ilyas Attar QadiriRazavi دامت براکاتھم العالیۃ
In addition to the aforementioned reading material, what else is necessary to learn?
In addition to the obligatory branchesof knowledge, it is also important to learn the following:
1. Reciting the Quran with correct pronunciation[Tajweed].
2. Correct recitation of Azkaar of Salah (i.e. everything that is recited in Salah in addition to the recitation of the Quran).
Advisory Madani Pearls
1. Islamic brothers and Islamic sisters should attend MadrasatulMadinah Balighaan andMadrasatulMadinah Balighaat respectively.
2. If there are no facilities for MadrasatulMadinahBalighaan and Balighaatin your vicinity, you should apply for MadrasatulMadinah Online classes.